Saturday, June 28, 2008

Amy Butler Birdie Sling


I decided to make a bag the other night. I had read some reviews on-line about Amy Butler's Birdie Sling sewing pattern. I liked the look of the bag, but the reviews from other sewers all said that the bag was too big. Since I was just looking for a new purse, and not a diaper bag or beach bag, I decided to make my bag smaller. So I reduced the pattern pieces to 75% on a copy machine before I began.

I appreciated the ease of the directions, and I thought the interlinings that the pattern called for worked well for this type of bag. However, the way the instructions tell you to cut out your fabrics, is a way which wastes a lot of fabric. I used at least half of the amount called for (also taking into consideration that I was working with smaller pattern pieces) by cutting out my pieces differently than instructed.

I used 2 fabrics from Anna Maria Horner's Chocolate Lollipop, and for the inside of the bag I used Alexander Henry's Hot Dot in Ice Blue. The bag took approximately 5 hours to make from start to finish. Initially I began putting a snap closure in, but took it out because I like the way the bag lays without a closure. I'm really happy with how it turned out! What do you think?

Despite the full-sized pattern making a very large bag, I think I will try one next time, that I can use for a diaper bag or day bag!

No comments: